Chemistry@Innova

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chemistry@Innova

Discussion of all things chemistry with the Chem Guru Mr Wong..

2 posters

March Holiday Assignment: Question 11

Charrisa

March Holiday Assignment: Question 11 Empty March Holiday Assignment: Question 11

Post  Charrisa Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:45 pm

11b) Write the electron arrangement in the outer shell of R.
    ans: ns^2 np^3
    -Whys is the answer ns^2 np^3? What does n stands for?

11c) Can R be nitrogen? Explain.
    ans: R cannot be nitrogen because nitrogen only has 7 inonisation energies but the diagram shows that R has at least 8 ionisation energies.
    -How do i show that nitrongen has 7 ionisation energies?

11d)Explain why ionisation energy increases as electrons are removed.
    ans: Ionisation energy increases as electrons are removed because the remaining electrons are attraced more strongly by the constant positive charges on the nucleus
    -Why are the remaining electrons attracted more strongly since there the positive charge is always constant?
    Admin
    Admin

March Holiday Assignment: Question 11 Empty Re: March Holiday Assignment: Question 11

Post  Admin Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:45 pm

Charrisa wrote:11b) Write the electron arrangement in the outer shell of R.
    ans: ns^2 np^3
    -Whys is the answer ns^2 np^3? What does n stands for?

n means that it can be any thing with s^2p^3.. eg.. 1s2 2s2 2p3, or 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p3.. as long as outer most shell is s2p3... get it?

11c) Can R be nitrogen? Explain.
    ans: R cannot be nitrogen because nitrogen only has 7 inonisation energies but the diagram shows that R has at least 8 ionisation energies.
    -How do i show that nitrongen has 7 ionisation energies?

N has 7 electrons, so to remove all, u must have 7 IE... Idea

11d)Explain why ionisation energy increases as electrons are removed.
    ans: Ionisation energy increases as electrons are removed because the remaining electrons are attraced more strongly by the constant positive charges on the nucleus
    -Why are the remaining electrons attracted more strongly since there the positive charge is always constant?

[i]it is because the remaining electrons, which are getting lesser and lesser, will be attracted more strongly by the protons.. for eg. i start off with 10 p and 10 e. after 1st IE, i am left with 10 p and 9 e, after 2nd IE i am left with 10 p and 8 e.. so the remaining electrons experience a greater pull towards the nucleus..[/i] Idea

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:11 pm